Inconsistent topic threading

Yeah, I’ve already talked to @Jarland about taking the plugin out because people don’t get it. We’re not sure if it would break anything or not.

That plugin could be useful, but honestly IMHO this is not the place … as people come looking for answers and if they don’t know the wierd layout, it will only serve to confuse them more. Just my 2cents @Jarland

1 Like

How? — Ok, I see the comment button now … but why doesn’t this thread have any comment buttons? it is all reply …

Gonna suck to have to pay attention if you get a ‘comment’ or a ‘reply’ button on every discussion. :frowning:

I think the few cases of confusion on this do not justify removing the ability to display answers at the top. Normal Discourse threading would hide answers as more discussion took place, rendering this place not useful for reference. The confusion doesn’t seem to outweigh the usefulness from my perspective.

Took me a bit to get to use it. There’s a “Answer” which adds a Comment (Like the beginning of a Slack Thread), and a “Comment” which adds it as a reply to the answer. As we follow the StackOverflow example, we would +1 the answer that should possibly show up at the top with a wonderful “Community Approved Answer”.

Reviewing the post you reference, you seem to have clicked the “Comment” rather than “Reply” button. So yeah… Wolveix sometimes comes by and fixes the comment/reply if you made a mistake, but if you kept commenting, he probably gave up.

I would like to file a complaint that it should be slightly easier to reply to a reply :joy:.

I do that sometimes actually. But it needs to be done by editing the post from the rails console. Which is a bit of a pain in the ass.

TMI, but thanks … I’ll read it some day. :smile:

So, what happens if I just want to comment on a topic but not answer it? There was one earlier that I could have made a helpful comment on, but the only option was to answer …

That really really sucks … case in point Outbound Email going into Spam at School

Aha!!! Found the solution … if you quote part of the text it will answer in the same thread! :slight_smile:

Scratch that … this is a reply type thread, not an answer type thread!

I tried this in an ‘answer’ type thread but the reply went who knows where? PM to the OP perhaps? No idea, as it is not in the topic that I answered.

Ahh, IT DID show up in the same thread!!! Just NOT instantaneously - which is super odd. So maybe the solution is to quote when wanting to add a reply in the right place rather than to answer. :slight_smile:

I think this would trigger the automated system to moved it correctly as it contains mostly that quoted section. :man_shrugging:

I still suggest using the correct method. Also thanks to placeholder text for explanation,

Agreed … if it is anything like that horrible threading on Slack nuke it! Oh wait, you said Stack not Slack … ugh.

So. how the heck to I reply directly to Andrea’s comment asking about how to get to Slack? Normally there is a reply button in each post, or one at the bottom for the discussion itself. In that case there was no way for me to reply there.

It’s not like threading. You’re going about this wrong. It’s isn’t actually a forum. Take a look at StackOverflow. There is a question, and then there’s answers.

You can also comment on the answers. So you would reply to her by commenting on the same answer as she did.

As you can see this category is a forum :grin:

I should try this, as recent threads has confused me (actually never did before). :slight_smile:

See my edit to my last post. :slight_smile:

I sir respectfully disagree … but that is ok as disagreement is good! :slight_smile:

May I make a suggestion then if you’re planning to keep this as is … may I suggest that the 'Welcome to MXroute Q&A" post be permanently pinned at the top and the following text (or something similar) be added

This Discourse forum uses a plug-in which will rate allow users to answers and display them based upon which answers are voted best, rather than in the typical forum threading. So check the most highly voted answers first!

I honestly had NO CLUE what the bizarre behaviour was until @Louis explained it. As he indicated that it seemed to him to be a problem as well … maybe this is a good solution - let people know to not expect the standard behaviour. :slight_smile:

:man_shrugging:

1 Like

Just “Answer”… you can’t really comment by itself as there is nothing to “reply” towards.

Just note that the highest voted answer will rise up higher.

Heh … ok thanks @Louis. It makes some sense now that you’ve explained it …

Perhaps there should have been some announcement that you were not using ‘Standard Discourse’? Then people wouldn’t be having the issue that you alluded to.

Let’s see if I can use it correctly now going forward! Thanks again!