Outbound Email going into Spam at School

My wife complains that emails from our domain to our school system seem to go into the JUNK/SPAM folders at school. She says this started around January of this year (2019). Emails where she is replying do not go into SPAM/JUNK.

Any tips?

Thanks

Hey friend!

I highly recommend using this to test how emails from your domain look: https://www.mail-tester.com

If you take all of itā€™s advice, this gives you the best advantage possible. Combined with the high IP reputation that we keep, youā€™re set up for the best chance at landing in inboxes. As the recipient is hosted at Microsoft, you should be in a good place because we maintain a perfect reputation with them.

However, it is important to set proper expectation on this. At the end of the day you can do everything right, and a recipient server can still mark your emails as spam. There is no guaranteed way to force a third party to accept the emails in a certain way. Microsoft tends to be one of the worst offenders, and they are hosting the email for allenisd.org. In my outlook.com email I have several emails from Microsoft themselves in the spam folder, so count yourself among good company at least if there is no way out of that.

Marking emails as ā€œnot spamā€ can also help train their filters over time.

Welcome @dringrose to the MXroute Q&A Forums!

Weā€™d like a bit more details, would you mind providing the email source from the School email? You may omit most of the information, however there is usually a rating system which evaluates what filters it hit to direct into spam.

MXroute has a sufficient delivery rate to many providers granted your personal Mailing score is reasonable.

I pulled the headers from a couple of the emails and they are below.

MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII;
format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Date: Mon, 13 May 2019 13:43:49 +0000
To: {school employee}@allenisd.org
Subject: Programs 2019-2020
Message-ID: <847a9063576c0ebc05d196dd13c5cb24@{one of my domains}>
X-Sender: {our email}
User-Agent: Roundcube Webmail/1.3.7

The second I canā€™t post because it is telling me new users can only post 2 links. It is a RE: FWD about something my wife was organizing for the school with the Dallas Mavericks.

@dringrose

There is no way to reply to your post directly unfortunately with the wacky set up of this forum. :frowning: @Jarland @falceso @Louis (show me how please - not here though)

Below is a copy of the instructions - be sure to substitute your correct server name for banshee.mxlogin.com

DNS MX RECORDS :
banshee.mxlogin.com (Priority 10)
banshee-relay.mxlogin.com (Priority 20)

DNS TXT RECORDS :
ā€œv=spf1 include:mxlogin.com -allā€

IMAP Server : banshee.mxlogin.com
SMTP Server : banshee.mxlogin.com

IMAP PORTS : 993 (SSL), 143 (non-encrypted)
SMTP PORTS : 465 (SSL), 25 (non-encrypted), 587 (STARTTLS), 2525 (alternate, non-encrypted)
POP3 PORTS : 995 (SSL), 110 (non-encrypted)
(If you need additional custom ports, please open a support ticket to request it)

Are the emails that are going into spam being forwarded ?

Thanks!

Using mail-tester Iā€™ve improved the results. Though it keeps giving me results like this:
[SPF] XXXXXX does not allow your server 172.82.139.234 to use XXX@XXX.XX

I noticed another ticket mentioning using the SPF record in the ā€œWelcome Emailā€. And I canā€™t seem to find that email.

Thanks

@dringrose I believe SPF (TXT) record should be the following.

v=spf1 include:mxlogin.com -all

However should you require revisit any past billing emails, try viewing the Email History.

1 Like

Thanks again! Messing with mail-tester and fixing some setup issues I moved from a .9 out of 10 to 9 out of 10. I think I have DKIM setup correctly so that might make it 10 out of 10, but Iā€™ll have to check tomorrow.

Thanks again for your help!