Outbound Email going into Spam at School

My wife complains that emails from our domain to our school system seem to go into the JUNK/SPAM folders at school. She says this started around January of this year (2019). Emails where she is replying do not go into SPAM/JUNK.

Any tips?

Thanks

Hey friend!

I highly recommend using this to test how emails from your domain look: https://www.mail-tester.com

If you take all of it’s advice, this gives you the best advantage possible. Combined with the high IP reputation that we keep, you’re set up for the best chance at landing in inboxes. As the recipient is hosted at Microsoft, you should be in a good place because we maintain a perfect reputation with them.

However, it is important to set proper expectation on this. At the end of the day you can do everything right, and a recipient server can still mark your emails as spam. There is no guaranteed way to force a third party to accept the emails in a certain way. Microsoft tends to be one of the worst offenders, and they are hosting the email for allenisd.org. In my outlook.com email I have several emails from Microsoft themselves in the spam folder, so count yourself among good company at least if there is no way out of that.

Marking emails as “not spam” can also help train their filters over time.

Welcome @dringrose to the MXroute Q&A Forums!

We’d like a bit more details, would you mind providing the email source from the School email? You may omit most of the information, however there is usually a rating system which evaluates what filters it hit to direct into spam.

MXroute has a sufficient delivery rate to many providers granted your personal Mailing score is reasonable.

I pulled the headers from a couple of the emails and they are below.

MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII;
format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Date: Mon, 13 May 2019 13:43:49 +0000
To: {school employee}@allenisd.org
Subject: Programs 2019-2020
Message-ID: <847a9063576c0ebc05d196dd13c5cb24@{one of my domains}>
X-Sender: {our email}
User-Agent: Roundcube Webmail/1.3.7

The second I can’t post because it is telling me new users can only post 2 links. It is a RE: FWD about something my wife was organizing for the school with the Dallas Mavericks.

@dringrose

There is no way to reply to your post directly unfortunately with the wacky set up of this forum. :frowning: @Jarland @falceso @Louis (show me how please - not here though)

Below is a copy of the instructions - be sure to substitute your correct server name for banshee.mxlogin.com

DNS MX RECORDS :
banshee.mxlogin.com (Priority 10)
banshee-relay.mxlogin.com (Priority 20)

DNS TXT RECORDS :
“v=spf1 include:mxlogin.com -all”

IMAP Server : banshee.mxlogin.com
SMTP Server : banshee.mxlogin.com

IMAP PORTS : 993 (SSL), 143 (non-encrypted)
SMTP PORTS : 465 (SSL), 25 (non-encrypted), 587 (STARTTLS), 2525 (alternate, non-encrypted)
POP3 PORTS : 995 (SSL), 110 (non-encrypted)
(If you need additional custom ports, please open a support ticket to request it)

Are the emails that are going into spam being forwarded ?

Thanks!

Using mail-tester I’ve improved the results. Though it keeps giving me results like this:
[SPF] XXXXXX does not allow your server 172.82.139.234 to use XXX@XXX.XX

I noticed another ticket mentioning using the SPF record in the “Welcome Email”. And I can’t seem to find that email.

Thanks

@dringrose I believe SPF (TXT) record should be the following.

v=spf1 include:mxlogin.com -all

However should you require revisit any past billing emails, try viewing the Email History.

1 Like

Thanks again! Messing with mail-tester and fixing some setup issues I moved from a .9 out of 10 to 9 out of 10. I think I have DKIM setup correctly so that might make it 10 out of 10, but I’ll have to check tomorrow.

Thanks again for your help!