Why are you blocking my VPN?

I can’t access your services from my VPN, why?

This is likely a relevant answer, but check bgp.he.net to see if your current IP is in the space of M247 to know for sure. If it is, and that should be the case if we’re blocking it, this is the story:

MXroute has begun blocking AS9009, M247, for knowingly hosting and approving of the hosting of an excessive amount of abusive services. It is clear from shared experiences posted by others on the internet that their stories are similar to ours. The M247 network is responsible for an amount of abusive traffic that far exceeds that of any other network.

Unfortunately we didn’t get numbers, as their IP space is too broad to run against our logs to really put all of the pieces together. What we know is that much of the worst abuse came from there repeatedly, and all servers and services are more accessible and lighter on load after having blocked their network. We significantly reduced spam, brute force, and effectively DOS attacks against services. All servers are performing much better as a result of this network block.

The downside? A very small number of users are using VPN services that use their network. This includes “some” (not all) pops from PrivateInternetAccess and AirVPN. An even smaller number of users are unwilling to hold their VPN providers accountable for utilizing this excessively dirty network, and consider it a deal breaker. We’re happy to refund those few, as we believe this is the right decision for our servers and, by extension, the vast majority of our users.

Some battles are best backed down from, but some are worth facing mild consequences and carrying forward with. Blocking the M247 network is one that we’ve knowingly chosen to press on with, and we hope that others will join us to hold them and the services that use them accountable, ultimately holding M247 accountable for the traffic in their network.

This is a story that we used to confirm that we were not alone in our experience: m247.com: An Other Kid On The (spamming) Block | ValueWeb.gr