WHMCS Transactional Email Output

Hi MX Route Community,

First, thanks for your time.

Most of my transactional emails shoot out from WHMCS from our terrific MX Route email address - we get the chron every day, etc, and password recovery goes out to other users and we can sign up with gmail accounts and get our “Confirm your registration” link in the gmail account.

Weirdest thing though, it seems to refuse to send transactional emails to another MX Route email address that I have on the same MX Route server account. I can send direct emails from one account to the other, but SMTP setup in WHMCS it’s a no-go - strangely. When things are sent, it spits back to my support@tfwph.com email address:

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

sxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxal.com
No Such User Here

Reporting-MTA: dns; xxx.xxxxxxxxx.com

Action: failed
Final-Recipient: rfc822;sxxxxxxxx@snssocial.com

Obviously my fear is that it would be a no-go with other MX Route accounts or some other sort of accounts. I don’t no how that would be, but if anyone wants to help test, you could register at my.tfwph.com and tell me if you get a confirmation email. If you do, that would reduce my anxiety level. I still want to figure out what’s going on though.

Thanks MX Route Community!

What was the Reporting-MTA? I’m thinking not us, because I see the delivery failures in the logs and they’re being delivered from another server, while all email hitting our server for the domain in question seems to be delivered fine. I’m thinking your WHMCS server is trying to deliver that mail locally on it’s server and failing, not trying to send it through us. Probably because it thinks it’s authoritative for that domain’s email and your WHMCS is actually not using SMTP auth to our server (but instead PHP mail or something).

This answer seems to fit because I see your WHMCS emails too and they’re sent to us, not through us. A very fine but important distinction because it means your WHMCS isn’t using us for your outbound mail.

Jarland, you’re a true professional. I don’t know how you got back to me so quickly. Thanks so much for the help.

I still haven’t been able to follow up with WHMCS in detail, but I’m just assuming that outgoing emails from our WHMCS server to email addresses running through the same IP are the only ones that aren’t going out. Will investigate as soon as I get more time.

For now, consider this closed. Thanks so much!