Set default webmail client?

I’ve done some searching, but I haven’t found anything that looked recent, as in - options currently available to me on the control panel. If I set a CNAME of mail.example.com to lisa.mxrouting.net, then I get this at the root domain:

I can access rainloop if I goto http://mail.example.com/rainloop, but I’d like to just make it a “default”.

By default roundcube is available on webmail.yourdomain.com without adding a path. Currently there’s no way to make rainloop the default, except for a bookmark of course :grin:.

Did you see my screenshot though? That’s what I get when I go to the root, not roundcube

I did. I also said webmail.yourdomain.com :wink:

I’m confused. Why would that be hardcoded in?

Honestly? Probably because that’s how cPanel does it, and DirectAdmin copied that behaviour. I see no reason for it not to be available on mail.yourdomain.com as well.

We’re trying to stick with a configuration that’s directly supported by DirectAdmin. Maybe @Jarland can take a look and see if this is possible? No promises :grin:

Ah. I’m so used to just hosting all that shit myself, I’ve never used cPanel - I don’t know anything about it… But I’m setting this up for friends, and honestly just don’t have time to do self-hosted email - you guys of all people understand how much of a pain hosting all that stuff is :stuck_out_tongue: I guess I’m just annoyed that’s not as flexible as when I do it all myself :frowning:

I hear you! I also do everything else myself as I like the flexibility. When we migrate from cPanel and DirectAdmin to our own custom solution we’ll probably allow you to specify whatever domain you want for both webmail and imap/smtp/pop.

To clarify mail vs webmail subdomain:

The mail domain is intended for SMTP/POP3/IMAP, and the webmail domain is for webmail. They are separate for technical reasons which make sense in the stack, I won’t bore you with those details, but we don’t intend for you to visit the “mail” subdomain via web browser.

1 Like