Is it possible to keep using my old domain for certain email inboxes while migrating to MXroute?

I have to do a migration of around a dozen email inboxes from my current host, and some are small only taking a few hours at most, but a couple are very large (~20gb) and the migration for these could several weeks.

The problem is that some of my email addresses need to use MX Route’s mail server, while others on the same domain will still need to use Site 5’s mailserver (so I don’t have donwtime/missed emails during the migration etc). Is it possible and if yes, how do we configure the DNS to do that?

To note, all these email addresses are cPanel email accounts. I am wondering if MX Route has a way where I could send you the individual email files from cpanel, and MxRoute could directly put those files on the server?

Thanks

I have to ask you why you think migration will take so long? I used imapsync tonight for a 500mb mailbox and it took only a few minutes. Worst case multiply that by 40 and the time is 2 hours. I do not think that a larger mailbox will take as long as a smaller mailbox on an equal basis This is with the online imapsync. If you download and install the imapsync client on a *nix machine, or VPS, you should be able to do them even quicker as a batch since you can run multiple instances.

To answer your actual question - what you are asking about is split routing which can only be handled by certain types of mail servers, of which MXroute does not utilize.

And as far as the cPanel email accounts - their storage format is different than what MXroute uses, so the answer is no.

If you would like migration assistance, please feel free to reach out to me as I am sure that it can be done in a few hours for a fair rate.

@Louis - thanks, but it’s the download that has the 2.5gb limit - upload (I.e. migrating to gsuite) is limited to just 1.5gb per 24 hours. It’s a nightmare for large inboxes.

I sadly don’t have access to gigabit / fiber internet so I’ll just have to hope the transfer rate at home is fast enough as my business line is only 200mbps.

Thanks @Louis but you’ve misread the preceding posts:

“I initially was going to use Gsuite as my email host, before finding MX”

I had tried to upload to Gsuite and that’s when I ran in to the 1.5gb upload daily limit, and hence why I decided to try Mx Route which doesn’t have upload limits (i’m migrating FROM site5).

Anyway, I just tried imapsyc and holy wow - it’s fast! I did a test mailbox of 100mb and it was done in seconds even on my slower business line.

Thanks for all the help - Mx Route is a lifesaver and the support I’ve gotten here is amazing. Thank you!

Just coming back here to say how damn happy we are with your incredible service.

Thank you @Louis and @Alento - I was able to migrate a 20gb mailbox in just a few hours via imapsync and all the rest took literally minutes.

THANK YOU!!!

Thanks @Alento - My thinking (or better said misconception?) is because I initially was going to use Gsuite as my email host, before finding MX.

I tried migrating some smaller inboxes that were only around 100mb and they took over 4 hours. The most crucial inbox I have to migrate is just over 20gb and by that transfer speed I was looking at basically 10 days and I can’t deal with that downtime. Also, G suite has a 1.5gb limit per 24 hours so even if it did 1.5gb in an hour, it will pause the transfer for 23 hours then allow another 1.5gb until pausing again etc, and you can’t run multiple transfers at once, so the 12 inboxes were going to be a two week plus ordeal.

If MXroute is really that fast (500mb in a few minutes) then my reservations about the transfers aren’t warranted. I have several computers here so can I run a transfer on each to speed it up? I don’t have linux boxes so it would all just be on the web interface/imapscync.

Ha, I was unaware that gsuite had bandwidth limits like that. Though it looks like the daily imap bandwidth limit is 2.5GB. They also state “To address migration needs, you can download your entire mailbox about 3 times per month.” My interpretation of that is that if your mailbox is 3GB, you will be allowed to download 9GB monthly before the limit comes in :slight_smile:

https://support.google.com/a/answer/1071518

As for the transfer speed, it is dependent on your computers internet connection. Using a vps with a gigabit connection is likely to speed things up.

I am sorry but I think one of us is missing something … why does the speed of your home connection matter??? Migration is to be done server to server not via your home … or is there something else at play (such as emails already downloaded to home via POP3 and deleted from server)?

Interesting - I have only used imapsync online and it definitely does not use my location as a middle man. https://i005.lamiral.info/X/

You aren’t uploading to gsuite if you’re migrating to MXroute. Note what I said about Google making room in the limits for migrations, I also said you could use a cheap vps with a gigabit connection. All points you just brought up I already answered :slight_smile:

Not directly. imapsync downloads it, then uploads it. Meaning the speed depends on the connection of the computer/server running imapsync.

Yep, it uses the server that the owner of imapsync online is kindly providing :grin:. Or he could be evil and stealing all your emails, let’s give him the benefit of the doubt though.

1 Like

I did misread that! Glad it’s working for you :grin:

1 Like

You’re welcome! Imapsync rocks!