IMAP Special folders for iOS and macOS Mail.app

Please forgive my my basic question, I am having a lot of trouble sorting out IMAP special folders for my accounts. For the most part I have it set up having assigned the special folders in RoundCube, and on the various mail clients, however I THiNK that the one downfall is that ios Mail does not allow me to select a “Junk” folder and instead uses a default that is /Junk. Meanwhile, SpamAssassin uses a default that is INBOX/spam.

If I set the the Junk folder to match the iOS default then I do not receive any of the SpamAssassin flagged messages and if I use SpamAssassin default iOS continues to create a Junk folder and use it separately.

Is there a solution? Or do I have this completely wrong?

Thanks

I added my email account to Apple Mail and located the spam folder used by SA on the server by this path:

Screen Shot 2020-02-20 at 10.58.14 AM

I was then able to remap it to the Apple Mail standard “Junk” folder from the Preferences here:

Screen Shot 2020-02-20 at 11.01.05 AM

No idea why it appears nested under Trash there. Does that help?

Thanks,

Yes I was able to do this (and yes I also had some odd behaviors about thins appearing in side other folders unexpectedly, But I think it is more or less working on MacOS. The problem is that in iOS you are not able to remap the Junk folder in any way, my understanding is that it can not be changed from /Junk

Thanks

You can do a few things at least, even if not quite exactly that, on iOS. Go into Settings, Passwords & Accounts, the email account, tap on the account again at the top (under “IMAP”), and then Advanced at the bottom. You can shift everything forward a bit by setting the “IMAP Path Prefix” to “/INBOX” for example.

On iOS I see all junk folders:

If you set DA to move to spam folder, that’s the INBOX.spam folder (while the rest of the folders are without the INBOX prefix).

iOS selects spam or Junk, and presents whichever it selects as “Junk” (you may effectively see two folders titled “Junk”, if it selects spam as Junk folders.

This means that if you use Move to Junk, it used that folder. But you can still access the others.

If you want to move spam to the same folder iOS Mail.app detects, use Sieve filtering (in RoundCube webmail) per user account, instead of having DirectAdmin move the spam for you … :slight_smile: