How Can I Use MXroute with My VPN?

It looks like MXroute doesn’t allow IMAP/SMTP connections from my VPN (Private Internet Access). The help docs say that IPs are blocked to defend against “brute force attacking”, but I’ve never had issues using this VPN with any other email service provider. Accessing the internet without the VPN is not an option for me.

Is there any way for me to use MXroute with my VPN?

I also use Private Internet Access as my VPN and have faced no issues whatsoever. What problems are you encountering?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

The SMTP server friday.mxlogin.com times out when I attempt to connect through the VPN. This is the case in Thunderbird on the desktop and the mail clients on Android and iOS. Turning off the VPN allows me to send messages through the SMTP server again, but disabling the VPN regularly is not a viable solution for me.

That’s strange. I’m able to connect to that server regardless of whether or not my VPN connection is active. It could be worth finding out exactly where the connection is timing out.

Which VPN location are you connecting from and which mail client are you using? I tried several locations in several different countries (US, UK, and Singapore), but MXroute didn’t accept an SMTP connection from any of those VPN servers.

I’m using Windows 10 Mail, though Gmail on Android works too. I normally connect through PIA’s London region, but I’ve just tested their US Texas and Singapore regions too with no issues.

PIA Has a policy in place for blocking email services, which protects them from abuse. So in this case we’re not the ones blocking your connection. They do seem to offer a solution for whitelisting, but you’ll have to contact their customer support.

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/helpdesk/kb/articles/smtp-whitelisting-policy

2 Likes