Forwarder stoped working. "The domain you are sending from forbids it by DMARC"

Hi! I’ve got the following problem.

I have an email being forwarded because it is used for electronic invoicing purposes. It has been working seamlessly for several months but now the forward is not being delivered and I started getting the following error:

SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:
554 5.7.1 Outbound spam message rejected. Your recipient is forwarding email and the domain you are sending from forbids it by DMARC

What should I do to correct this?

Thanks!
Luis

The reason for this forwarding error is that for example yahoo has their dmarc policy set to reject. If we forward an email from them we rewrite the address with SRS. This causes DMARC misalignment, and the recipient should reject the email. So we reject it before the recipient can. It may sound a bit harsh, but the solution is to not use forwarding.

You can read more about why we prevent forwarding of emails from domains that specify “reject” in their DMARC record here:

https://blog.mxroute.com/2019/06/google-does-not-respect-srs-do-not-forward-email-to-google

While the article may specify Google, that’s just because they’re the most common forwarding target. The rules don’t vary based on recipient target.

The best way to avoid this would be to either not forward email to external services or to ask Yahoo to remove “reject” from their DMARC record, at which point I’ll remove them from the list.

Edit: To be clear, you’ve added two errors together with the string “Outbound spam message rejected. Your recipient is forwarding email and the domain you are sending from forbids it by DMARC.” The string “Outbound spam message rejected” should not be send with the words that follow it in your post.