Email Redirection

I help a colleague manage her mxRoute account. She currently has the email address maiden_name@mydomain.com but would like to start using married_name@mydomain.com instead. I do not want to remove maiden_name as an actual account because it is used as the login for various other sites. Yes, I could make it a forwarder, but I would prefer to do the following: Keep it as an actual email account, but have all mail sent to it redirected to married_name.

Is this possible using mxRoute? If so, how do I configure the system to do this?

Hey @abogart :slight_smile: I’m not a member of staff, but I do help out around here.

I understand that you don’t want to create a forwarder, but your proposed solution sounds exactly like one. To help me understand, what differences would your proposed solution have as opposed to a forwarder?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

With a forwarder, you have one actual email account. It is not possible, for example, to use the forwarding email address to provide SMTP credentials as there is no password associated with the account. With mail redirection, both are actual accounts and both can be used in whatever way one wants.

Okay, so would I be correct in assuming that you want the emails forwarded from maiden_name@mydomain.com to married_name@mydomain.com while still maintaining sending functionality from maiden_name@mydomain.com? If so, perhaps an email alias would be the answer? If not, then I would suggest setting up forwarding while still leaving the original account intact.