DKIM Not Working Only When Sending from Email Client

Hi all,
I have been working on getting DKIM functioning properly on one of my domains for a very long time. In the last couple weeks I have been digging in harder and trying to find the root of the issue, I discovered something that seems odd to me. First off, let me start by saying, I have 3 domains set up on my MX route account, 2 of them the DKIM seems to be working very well all the time. On my most active domain though, I have been having issues with the messages not being signed. So to be clear, the messages don’t contain a signature, it’s not an issue with them not being valid signatures, it’s that there is no signature. What I have found in the last couple weeks though is that my co workers emails on this domain are all being signed. Also my emails when sent from webmail (roundcube) are being signed. But when I send from my email client, thunderbird, they are almost always not signed. I am unaware of a way to cause messages to not be signed using an email client, am I missing something there? It’s pretty cut and dry, they all seem to sign and validate unless I send them from Thunderbird. Any direction on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Brett

We were able to determine the reason for this. It has not yet been decided whether to consider this a bug or intentional feature, and that will need more time to determine. However, the cause came from using capitalization in the domain name in the “From” field, which is determined by the configuration of the email client.

At this time, to avoid a similar scenario, make sure that your domain name contains no capitalization when configuring with your email client.

This post will be updated to reflect the decision as to whether or not to consider this a bug.

Hey Brett!

Sorry for the delayed response. It is my opinion that you have identified a situation that justifies the two of us working directly and personally to identify the problem. In this case, please join our slack and DM me:

https://join.slack.com/t/mxroutesupport/shared_invite/enQtNDY1NDI2Mzg2Mjc4LTFhNTM3MTc1OTUzYTU3MjliZDlkYzgwNzE0YzIwMWVmNmJiYTg3YWQ5NGY3YzhiOWMyNTc0MmQ4NjNiNGMzMzg

Jarland

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Jarland,

Sounds like a plan. I spent all day fighting a new phone system, I’ll see about getting on slack tomorrow and hitting you up. Hopefully we can get this figured out.

Thanks,
Brett