DKIM Key Length

I am attempting to set up DKIM on a recently registered domain with Hover as the registrar.

The key that is generated by MXroute is 394 characters long (not including the opening part of the string) or 412 characters total. Hover will only allow a TXT record to be 255 characters long (including the opening of the string). I’ve tried a number of ways to divide the key into parts, but Hover will not accept anything in the TXT record over 255 characters. If I divide it into 2 TXT entries, it fails the DKIM Validator check.

Is there a way to have a shorter key generated? Research seems to indicate the key generated in cpanel is a 2048 key; but a 1024 key will fit within the 255 character limit. Is there any way this can be done?

Just curious if you had followed the directions in this guide to split the DKIM? @rus

We are not able to change anything on our side for this, as this is hard coded into the current software used to handle inbound. As long as we’re using cPanel, we’re trying not to customize more than we have to in terms of things that can break on panel updates.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.