DirectAdmin "Create Domain" details

In the DirectAdmin “Account Manager” -> “Domain Setup” -> “Create Domain” screen I see a couple checkbox options to enable/disable “CGI Access” and “PHP Access”

So, my general rule of thumb is if I don’t need to mess with it then leave it alone … but inquiring minds want to know!

I’m assuming these settings are for DirectAdmin to handle the various webmail applications, and the default (CGI disabled, PHP enabled) are optimal - or even possibly strictly required to remain that way?

Just curious - I guess when I see a pointy-clicky option in an otherwise minimal GUI, I get to wondering what it might be all about.

Please advise. :smile:

1 Like

So basically what happened here is that this DirectAdmin template is coded in such a way that I can either edit the entire thing on one line or build a new one from scratch. Neither really seems like the best investment at this stage, so there are a few references that I cannot reasonably remove right now that refer to it’s web hosting functions. Expectation here is that you’ll hopefully ignore them for now and work around them.

Indeed. Okay - thanks for the explanation.

Just to be clear - I might expect some things to break if I go into “I wonder what would happen” mode - for instance disabling the PHP Access setting could effect some of the email apps?

Hopefully you haven’t had too many people (present company excluded) tempted to go full tampermonkey/footgun when exploring a new system. :smile: (I’m making some effort to note these observations now as I go through them since I’m quite likely to forget much of the confusion once I’m past the “beginners mind” point of view.)

There are a couple more “interesting” areas on one of the subsequent dialogs, once a domain has been created. The “private_html setup” seems best left alone, as does the “No redirection” setting.

But the third one (“Force SSL with https redirect”) does actually look like something I may want to set (after I’ve dealt with configuring DNS and installing SSL certificates).

Anyway … I’m guessing the majority of new users do manage to figure out which settings to ignore and which might be useful without running into too many problems? (Otherwise would expect to see some more mention of the few potential wrong turns - the welcome email seems like the best place to try and nip possible confusion in the bud.)

In this case none of those settings should have any impact. Everything that you use will be handled at a level that sits above what those settings control.

1 Like