Catch-all email

Hi
I setup catch-all email forwarding for my domains to my Yahoo email, but any email I expect to be caught and forwarded by the catch-all instead result in an error:
“SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:
554 5.7.1 Matched map: SENDER_FROM_BLACKLIST”

How can I resolve this?
Many thanks

Most likely the email you’re seeing rejected has yahoo.com in the From header. While we do our best to support email forwarding, Yahoo has made a demand in their DMARC record:

➜ ~ dig TXT _dmarc.yahoo.com +short
“v=DMARC1; p=reject; pct=100; rua=mailto:dmarc_y_rua@yahoo.com;”

What this means is that if an email is received with yahoo.com in the From header, and the sender doesn’t match their SPF record, then they request that the email be rejected. All major email services have begun respecting this. Yahoo does not add other email services to their SPF record, meaning the only approved sender for yahoo.com is Yahoo. Anyone else sending email as yahoo.com will be rejected. When it passes through our servers, we become the sender.

While SRS is a standard that was supposed to solve this issue, and we do utilize it, SRS does not actually change the “From” header and SRS is not respected by any of the major email services when DMARC records specify “reject” in them.

Unnecessary and excessive rejections hurt IP reputation, which makes your emails more likely to end up in spam folders than inboxes. To prevent unnecessary rejections, we intentionally do not send email that we know will not be accepted, therefore we do not send email that has “yahoo.com” in the From header.

In short, Yahoo doesn’t want their email forwarded, and it won’t be accepted by any major email provider if we try to, so we don’t forward it.

See this question, as it is the same as yours.

Hmm - I wonder if this has got anything to do with: Why are some emails not forwarded to Gmail/Yahoo/Hotmail/Other? and if so, what my options are?
Many thanks

Thank you, @Jarland and @Louis for your super-quick responses - much appreciated!

I haven’t tried Yahoo, but here’s how I’m using Gmail for all my domain emails (both those with and those that aren’t using MXroute):

Not sure if Yahoo has a similar mechanism.
In this case, Gmail behaves like any other mail client (downloading emails from the MXroute inbox - can be set up to leave copies, or delete emails after downloading them).
Sending is done using MXroute (or provider’s for emails not with MXroute) SMTP server - again, Gmail working as an email client.

For me it’s super convenient: not taking up space with MXroute account and like Gmail client, since it works with any computer, or smartphone, wherever I am. Also, mail backup is relatively easy (plus I’ve never had an email lost with Gmail since the service started).

If you want to consistently receive email and not have to worry about these kind of things, you should use the email service that receives your email as your email service rather than trying to force a third party email service to act as a frontend to your primary email service. If they wanted to be used that way they’d have to ignore DMARC records that specify “reject” but they don’t, so there’s an increasing amount of domains they won’t receive forwarded email from.

If you truly want to use Yahoo for your personal domains without any stipulations, you should use this: https://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/mail