Can I Access CrossBox from a Custom Hostname?

Hey all,

I have changed my DNS records and can currently access the cpanel, webmail and pop/imap though my own domain.

I was wondering if I can do the same with CrossBox? Currently when I go to CrossBox I see the https://mail.mxlogin.com hostname.

Thanks in advance!

Technically this is possible, but I cannot find the documentation on it. I imagine it might be discussed somewhere here: https://forum.crossbox.io

I should also note that I cannot guarantee future support of that, so keep in mind that if something changes in the future it may not be possible to carry that over (cPanel’s new pricing structure has us searching for new solutions, and crossbox may not be functional for another solution should we find one).

If I’m not mistaken, you’re referring to the Branding feature of CrossBox? If so, you should be able to set it up by creating an admin[@]domain[.]com account, logging into this account, and navigating to Admin > Branding.

However, I am having issues using it since it throws errors as it requires that the custom mail[.]domain[.]com CNAME (for SMTP/IMAP/POP3) points to mail[.]mxlogin[.]com, instead of servername[.]mxlogin[.]com as instructed in the official documentation of MXRoute.

I did test trying to set up mail2[.]domain[.]com CNAME mail[.]mxlogin[.]com and I was able to successfully use http://webmail.domain.com; I’m not sure, however, if it’s a valid custom hostname to use. @Jarland?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

That works. The Crossbox master is a different system than the servers it connects to, so it makes sense.

Just to confirm @Jarland, we can either point the CNAME of mail[.]domain[.]com to mail[.]mxlogin[.]com OR servername[.]mxlogin[.]com and either will work for custom SMTP/IMAP/POP3 hostname purposes (even if the two have different IPs)?

Just to confirm @Jarland, we can either point the CNAME of mail[.]domain[.]com to mail[.]mxlogin[.]com OR servername[.]mxlogin[.]com and either will work for custom SMTP/IMAP/POP3 hostname purposes (even if the two have different IPs)?

It might be a good idea for me to break these apart so you know what’s happening.

So let’s say your MXroute server is ghost.mxroute.com and your domain is jarland.me (my personal domain on that host makes a good example). That server has a web server entry for webmail.jarland.me, which serves ghost.mxroute.com:2096 at that URL if it happens to be pointed to that server. The Dovecot/Exim configs (IMAP/POP/SMTP) also have configuration for serving an SSL certificate for mail.jarland.me, if that happens to point to it.

Then we have mail.mxlogin.com. This is a separate server which refers back to all of our other servers. If I log in as "me@jarland.me" it knows that email is hosted on Ghost, so it authenticates over IMAP to ghost.mxroute.com and displays the email. The Crossbox team who developed the software for mail.mxlogin.com did build in a way for me to offer a custom hostname on top of mail.mxlogin.com. However, that relationship exists purely between me and mail.mxlogin.com at that point. You’d notice that ghost.mxroute.com has no part in that relationship, it is simply the server that mail.mxlogin.com authenticates against when I use me@jarland.me.

So you end up with these two separate structures, both capable of a different offering around custom hostnames but there’s no real connection between the two on that front. Either would be viable, so long as nothing breaks with Crossbox.

3 Likes

Thanks for the explanation @Jarland, I really appreciate it!

One last thing, and just to confirm: it means that if I do mail.domain.com CNAME mail.mxlogin.com, my IMAP/POP3/SMTP set up will be broken in the case that you decide to discontinue with CrossBox, correct?

Thanks for the response.

I’ll have a look and write here if I find anything, but I may stick with roundcube for now if that’s the more stable option.