Bounced email address tracking/notification?

I have a WordPress website. I’ve created a double opt-in mailing list, using a (free) plugin called Newsletter. Subscribers enter their name and email, then get a confirmation link to their inbox to confirm. So that is taken care of.

Sending to mailing lists is what worries me. The noted plugin’s tool for tracking bounced emails is in a beta phase (plus it costs money).

Mail sending tools (like MailGun, SendGrid etc.) have other problems - without paying for a dedicated IP address, their “free tier” addresses are in lots of blacklists. Plus even the cheapest non-free tier doesn’t offer a dedicated IP.

Since the above noted plugin does offer limiting number of sent emails to 100 per hour, I could technically use MXroute for sending. However, I would like to know if any of the emails are no longer valid (emails bounced and never delivered), so I can remove those from the lists.

Doing this manually, just from a list of bounced emails would be perfect.

Does MXroute provide such notification?
Would I get an email that says “could not be delivered to this and this address” every time an email is not delivered?

In other words: is this reliable method - is it not likely that I won’t get notified of a bounced email?

Any other suggestions on how to do this better (preferably on a non-profit budget) are welcome.

For money-making sites, recommendations for quality paid services are also welcome (for all I could “dig out”, SendGrid paid tier with a dedicated IP is the least bad of all).

Thanks in advance for any advice and help.

Would you consider Mail Chimp or Campaign Monitor rather than sending yourself? MC has a free tier which allows you to send campaigns to up to 2000 contacts, provided you don’t mind including their logo in the footer of each email. And of course both services handle double opt-in, bounce backs, unsubscribes, engagement tracking and all that jazz.

Hey friend!

You should definitely receive an email back at the address in the From header when an email could not be delivered. Some email applications might actually handle these bounces for you as well, if connected to the inbox that receives them. The key is making sure that your From header is an address that can receive them, otherwise they would fail.

@Jarland
That’s perfect. Thank you. :slight_smile:

Living in a country where avoiding rules and finding holes in them is a sort of a “national sport”, with devastating consequences, my mind works that way too - though I try to not be “one of those”. Thought twice before even posting that, since it would surely give ideas to others, but then I thought “it doesn’t take too much brains to think of that”. So decided to ask: even if it’s not against the rules, I don’t like customers who abuse good will (and service), making you wish they were gone, so wouldn’t want to be like that myself.

Both your service and the support, as it is, works very good. Thank you for providing it.

Question / idea:
Do you plan to offer a service that can automatically track bounced emails and remove them off a created mailing list? With higher limit of sent emails per hour than MXroute current limit? Such solutions, with clean IP addresses, cost over 50$ per month with most companies, from what I could Google.

My partner is working on a client’s project that will see an exponential growth in number of people that need to be notified via email (schedules and re-schedules, notifications required by customers, so not spam). I don’t help with programming, but finding a reliable email delivery solution would remove one hurdle.

API control interface would be perfect (so the application can check the remaining outgoing email limit).

Client would be paying for that, they are very reasonable and from what I could tell, they’d be happy to pay a reasonable price - my thinking is 50% of what SendGrid charges (their price rises as the mail limit is increased), but don’t take this as a haggle - I’d test and recommend the service as long as it’s good, even at the same price.

It’s just a thought, idea, the project is still not finished (not our fault, long story) and way over due (client trusts my partner and doesn’t want to fire him, even though he suggested that and apologized). But it will be finished one way or another and I might be the one asked for a solution/recommendation for email delivery.

Thanks.

Another question, in terms of fair use:

I have both mydomain.com and mydomain.net registered.
mydomain.com contains two language website.

Would it be fine if I send 200 emails per hour from mydomain.com for 1st language mailing list and another 200 emails from mydomain.net for the 2nd language?

The reply to address for both the mailing lists would be from mydomain.com. The extra domain would only be used for simpler mail per hour limit tracking.

I understand that mail per hour list is capped on a per domain basis, but this would be “going around” that rule, not sure it’s intended to be used that way. Anyway - would that be OK, or considered an abuse of the service?

I don’t have a problem with that @bikegremlin. If I felt like it was causing a problem after it started I’d reach out to you as I know you have no negative intent.

1 Like

Don’t remember (didn’t write down) why exactly I didn’t choose those services. Might check again.
Easy WP SMTP is fast, reliable and easy to set up for SMTP mail sending using WordPress - using that.

Newsletter has all the other bells and whistles: making mailing lists, limiting number of sent email per hour, double opt in automation, spam/bot captcha and time limiter protection - all but the bounce check.

iirc there are 3rd party solutions for that. Mailwizz, Sendy, etc. And since MXroute takes out RBL’d IPs from the pool and re-sends bounced emails via MailChannels, IMO it’s better than using a dedicated IP (all MXroute IPs were clean and has better reputation than ‘new IPs’)

1 Like